If you thought the ocean is only valuable for your surfing expeditions, you are missing a whole world of beauty! The vastness of the ocean means that you are sure to find mind boggling and intriguing phenomenon. Analysts and experts have really helped us understand most of these fascinating facts but still, some of these cannot really be rationalized. I envy the sailors who witness and experience this phenomenon. Let’s see what they see as we look at these 5 Strangest Ocean Phenomena You Won’t Believe! Lets begin!
1. Milky Sea Phenomenon Several generations are proof to this spectacle. The Milk Sea phenomenon takes place in the Indian Ocean. It is quite similar to the bioluminescence that happens in various parts of oceanic water all around the world. The explanation to this is bacterial action that makes a large amount of the sea water to change to a blue color which then appears to turn milky in color to the human eye. This occurrence is so vast and prominent such that it can be seen all the way from space. Maybe we should try to catch the next space shuttle to out of space.
2. Bioluminescence Beauty is a characteristic of the ocean. If you think I am messing with you, consider bioluminescence. By far, this the coolest of all the oceanic phenomenon that happen. Bioluminescence occurs when light emitted from a living organism combines with atmospheric oxygen. The result: a chemical reaction of light energy and boom! It usually seems like the entire ocean is lit up, kind of like huge beams submerged in the water. In the night, the view is usually spectacular. Now imagine that during a starry night. Best sight ever!
3. The Rogue Wave Any sailor will tell you that sight and sound are very important in the identification of a wave. Rogue waves, however, do not to follow this rule. This wave forms almost out of thin air and gives no warning of its occurrence. It has even baffled the weathermen. Rogue waves occur far from any land and are of a colossal variety, reaching up to 80 feet high. If you ask any sailor who has experienced this, they will tell you the ship is the last place you want to be at that moment. The waves are mysterious, monstrous, deep and dark. Next time you want to venture to the middle of the ocean, you may want to reconsider.
4. Frost Flowers If nature has ever been artistic in its lifetime it has to be through frost flowers. These flowers are often found forming in the colder seas where very little wind blows. The ice clusters will grow around 4 centimeters in diameter and take on the shape of a flower. They get their beautiful shape because of the high salt content which is very important for crystallization. The flowers also create salinity into the air wherever they form in the sea. Now that’s artistic!
5. Red Tide What comes in strong vivid colors of red and orange with lace tides as they arrive at the beach? You guessed it…the red tide. It is quite a beauty if you ask me. Before you go all ‘Aww” about it, the cause of this tide is quite dangerous. The cause of these waves are harmful algal blooms that grow exponentially, such that they start producing toxic and harmful chemicals. These chemicals are bad for marine animals, fish, birds and people. This notoriously takes place every summer along the Florida Gulf Coast. So, next time you see something like that, just enjoy the scene from afar. Do not…I repeat…Do not come too close.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel India Trending