Very few things are cut and dry, this or that.
Emotional immaturity comes from the inability to process emotions + have awareness of other people’s perspectives.
Many of us are emotionally immature. We live in a society/in homes that don’t teach us how to regulate our emotions. Or, how to have any awareness of how another person might perceive the world.
This results in:
– rigid/black + white thinking
– feeling shame or fear around conflicting emotions (ex: feeling bad about loving a parent while also having experienced trauma from that parent)
– thinking everyone must agree with you to share the same viewpoint
– shaming yourself for thinking thoughts or feeling emotions that aren’t ‘good’ or ‘happy’
– believing that someone’s disapproval means something about who we are
– being shut down to anything that doesn’t validate your own emotional experience
All of us can practice our way to more emotional maturity. This comes from understanding:
– there are multiple realities
– your reality is always valid— simply because you have it
– We can choose how we engage with those around us
– We can have our own thoughts/beliefs even if people disagree + allow the same to others
– We can have many different emotions about things at once
– We can create our own meaning or narratives around what we experience at any time.
Everything is not always as it seems. Please check in on the ones you love. 💙
LET’S TALK 📞Contact Us